Thursday 1 November 2012

Positive Flow - Flow Lines



Tokyo Dawn Records at their best. they tend to be at their best I've been a fan for a while but this album is something else. myprecious.  if tokyo dawn records had come to me and said 'hey we'll make a London record* for you what woud you like it to be?'  the initial impulse may well have been to put my hands together and whimper. Mark de Clive-Lowe, Dego, Afronaut, Tawiah, Kaidi Tatham, Jason Yarde, Richard Spaven, Ty, Shabaka Hutchins, Motet, MysDiggi I'd want all of them there and the list goes on but this potential initial reaction's not right. to want for a scene you love to remain small and tight. all these people seem to be on top of the world great collaborations as well as solo projects abound. so after shaking that off and thinking for a bit I might go why not have an album by a genius musician I don't but should know featuring some of the best souljazz vocals on planet London?  buy this album. buy it. shit doesn't get this beautiful every day.


I love Omar I've been trying to see him live for a long time now but I don't seem to be meant to. I almost saw him at least five times, last time when he did a play in a pub down the road not long ago but something else came up. I love Vanessa Freeman, I haven't seen her perform in a while but whenever I hear about a gig involving her I try to be there. she is one of the people I've gon up to and said 'I love you'. I do that ocassionally it's a bit embarassing but can't help it. I used to say, when we used to go to Freesoul Sessions if I had one wish I wanted to sing like Vanessa Freeman. I love Sharlene Hector.

*it is a very London record for me, though I don't know where positive flow or some of the collabrators reside or where it was made. a west london one too. west london is what first got me into music the way I am into music. via Stockwell. I'd lke to elaborate on this one day who knows

No comments: